Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Day 14 Been here for 2 weeks 2/3/2010

Well again I need to do some catch up. gawd I'm lazy.

Day 10 1/29/2010

Well we're still in Renesse. We woke up the next morning later than usual because we didn't have to be anywhere till 10. After everyone had gathered their stuff and took it to the bus we headed to the ocean beach for the North Sea. It was amazing and beautiful. We didn't get to really enjoy it because it was still cold and on top of that it was raining and we had to work in this. They had given us our projects for the beach after we had our presentations with the other schools from America. We were supposed to make something that represented an opposite out of found objects from the beach. I was in a group with Trisha, Jason and Kevin. Interestingly I'd never worked or even talked with Kevin much. So we decided eventually after some experimenting and talking we decided on three circles with rocks on a sand pedestal in the middle. This was inspired by a pool of water with a rock in the center found near one of the beach jetties. On a side note this entire time I was keeping an eye out for shells. Ok so we made an experiment with a hole and a rock to figure out what we wanted to do. Then, we walked back up the to the restaurant near the beach to warm up. Next, we headed back down and noticed the tide had over taken our project. we were able to save the rocks but that hole was done. We moved farther up the beach and started to dig on our final project. we finished with the first hole and started on the second when we realized just how close the water was. I got down on my hands and knees and started digging and working as fast as I could. Kevin, Jason and I were digging. Jason with a shovel and Kevin and I with our hands. All the while Trisha was taking pictures. Also while we were experimenting earlier I was taking both video and pictures. We got the third hole mostly finished when the tide over took us. It just rushed in and swamped our holes. We wanted water in them in the first place so it ended up working for the better. We rushed to take pictures and get our work documented and them grabbed two of the rocks and carried them as far as we could away. We didn't get them back to the jetty the water had become too deep so we just left them and ran. We almost got stranded on our own little island because the tide was rushing in so quickly. I really wish I could have gotten a video of it. Well that was the end of the project. All of us were sandy, wet, cold and windblown. I don't think any of us didn't have rosy cheeks. We traipsed our way back up to the restaurant for lunch. While we were waiting I walked to the bus with several other people and grabbed some clothes to change into. They were sticky from me spraying DP on myself the day before, it was better than being in wet sandy clothes. I changed in the bathroom and I washed off my shells and boots. Then we ate. It was a good meal. We chose it the day before in the bus. I ordered the fried fish with bread. It was amazing yet again. After that our day was pretty much done. All we had left was the long bus ride back. I got on my computer briefly during that and typed but for the most part I was determined not to go to sleep and see much more than I had all ready. During this I really wish my camera wasn't out of batteries. There were several really neat buildings like a city gate and of course more windmills. Eventually we arrived back in Bonn. I walked with Alvaro to catch the train and then got home. I got on the internet to talk to Sean and mom. Then sleep.


Day 11 1/30/2010

Well this day was Saturday. I slept most of the day and talked to mom. I met Trudy, my host mom's boyfriend who is also black like her ex-husband. I sat on the couch that evening and messed with my computer with Vanessa, my host sister, with me. I don't remember much else because I didn't do much that day I was trying to recover from the trip. So I slept, and I messed with the computer, and I talked to mom.


Day 12 1/31/2010

Today I got up earlier than I would have normally. Usually I guess I would have slept in but Trudy invited me to go with her and her boyfriend's sister, 'Joy', to a Flea Market. This isn't like a flea market in America where everything is mostly old or used. This was new clothes, food, electronics and it was big compared to any that I had seen before. We walked around and eventually I spotted something that I wanted. It was a small purse. It is red with a golden design on it, including Elephants on one row. Anyway, the woman was telling me that it was one Euro, but I wasn't paying attention so I didn't hear her. When Trudy came over I asked her to ask the lady how much and she did then she told me that the lady said she already told me. Oops... Well I was slightly embarrassed. That was the only thing that happened there. We walked back to the house and we changed into some winter gear because we were going to go to the park to play and sled!! I was more excited than usual because, being from Texas, I've never sled before. This was awesome I was getting to fulfill one of my childhood dreams. So we walked to the park and met up with one of Vanessa friends and her mother with their dog Salen. On the way there Vanessa tied Salen to the sled and was trying to get her to drag her there, but Salen being a dog didn't know how and she kept running into things like trees. It was really funny. After we got there Joy and I started trying to make a snowman while Vanessa and the other girl sled. I was getting it to be really big while Joy wasn't having much luck. Eventually Trudy told me to go a head and go sledding because the day light was running out and she wanted a picture. So I ran up the hill and went sledding for the first time. Joy pushed me along for some parts of it. It was incredibly fun. I loved it, even though it was a small hill you could still get going pretty fast. After that first time I did it two more times so I could get a video of myself to show the family. After that Joy found a part of a snow man that someone had already made and rolled it over to where we were and we helped finish the snowman that she and I started. It was fun because it had a face from things we found nearby. I have a picture of it. We had a minor snowball fight as well. Afterward we were all tired so we headed back home. The girl and her mom went home to get the ice off Salen. Trudy, Vanessa, Joy and I went back to the house. We sat on the couch for most of the time trying to figure out the pictures on Vanessa's computer and I copied them to myself. The girl and her mom came over they had coffee while we continued to sit on the couch. After they left I talked to Sean again then went to bed.

Like I'm going to do now and continue to catch up on another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment